Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hamster question: don't want to seem inappropriate but.male sexual maturity?

I've never had a male hamster before and I really read up on the breeds and care for before I got them...however nothing I read said much about sexual maturity...I got two male hamsters (separate cages) in Jan-about 5or6 months ago-one is a Siberian Dwarf and the other is a European. I understand that they were very young when they were at the pet store (which is why they could share a cage there but not now) but when exactly do they become sexually mature? I ask this because my European is having a..."growth"...near is lower butt. At first I thought I should call the vet or take him to the pet store and ask if it was normal or if it was a tumor or something...but then I thought...what if his package just grew? I mean, do hamsters' "balls" drop like baby human boys do? the "growth" is pink, hairless, and about the size of the tip of my pinky finger...it looks kinda lopsided...is this just him reaching his sexual maturity or should I be concerned? (my dwarf is not having this)
thanx
Answers:
Yes that sound like his scrotum...we had a hamster named Henny Penny and were told she was a girl...then woops down came the testies and we had to change the name to Henry Penny...didn't seem to stress him out...he just continued his routine of eating, sleeping, housing, peeing, pooping and spinning his wheel...it okay, you made me laugh remembering when we made our discovery. Oh and the other hamster give him time...
it's all normal..im guessing that the europian one is just developing faster. the other one will develop when his time comes..
Yes, hamsters have "balls" that drop like humans; so, it's perfectly normal. And again, yes, this is the time they are sexually matured. I should have known b/c my female hamster got pregnant after my male hamster went through the change.
LOL! they most certainly are their balls!
I have had my male syrian a year. When we purchased him he was in a cage with one other male, so he was still fairly young, but after about 8 - 11 weeks they need to live seperatly to avoid serious fights and injuries. I would guess thats when they reach adulthood.
Harry has had very visable balls since we got him, and after a month or so they would drop completley out of his body. Fast forward a year they are really large, and are more prominant when he is relaxed, warm or sleepy, but sometimes they hang out when he is alert and running around! they drag across the floor! Like humans, all animals balls come in different shapes and sizes. My hamster would be blessed if he was human and would be keeping the females happy, so dont be alarmed.
I take him for regular check ups at the vets because hamsters are so delicate in general, I think its a great idea to do. She said a hamsters testicals can make up a third of their body weight. My husband thinks its great!!
Well my guess is that the european hamster is growing faster than the other one and that's what they are suppossed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment