Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hamster scratching and biting cage??

I bought a one month old Chinese dwarf hamster and spoil her rotten. She has bedding the best one available, and and is taking care of properly. But she seems to scratch a lot. Is she allergic to the bedding or does she have a mite? Do I need to take her to the vet? Also she wont bite me or my fiancee, but she will climb up on her cage and bite the wires, I bought her plenty of chew toys for her growing teeth, but she won't use them. Only the wires... Is there a reason for that? Any help appreciated.

:)
Answers:
It could possibly be the bedding. You should not be using any kind of cedar bedding it's very harmful to a hammie's health. Aspen shavings or Carefresh bedding (something close to it) are kinds that are recommended. Some are even allergic to the Aspen ( one of my gerbils are) so I prefer the carefresh type bedding. As for biting the bars, it is probably because of her teeth. What kind of chew toys do you have for her? Mine used to chew on those wood houses too.Try completely different types. I also do not like the plastic/bar cages because hammies always seem to bite the bars. I prefer a 10 gallon tank with a mesh lid, or a bin cage which can be made from a rubbermade type container and is very roomy for a hammy. I have 4 of them and love them! there are instructions all over the internet about how to make bin cages.
probably a a hampster thing. ask a vet
Take your hamster to the vet for the scrtching and also ask about the biting! I think that it's just that the wire may help more on her teeth.
She wants to get out!! How would you like being stuck in a cage?
Try a piece of clean wood?
A Stick maybe?
She does seem to want to get out,maybe you should try handling her in a safe environment?
If you have the money try one of those plastic cages with he tubes,they are quite easy to set up and will cost around 拢45.00. Just if you do get one of these place it in a safe place and close the door always in the room that the cage is in also do not use sawdust in one of these cages,they cna block up tubes and escape.
Your hamster may be allergic to the bedding,but most likely has mites,I would advise a trip to the vets,although it will set you back about 拢15,she is worth it as it can lead to fur loss.
Good Luck x
I experienced that with my hamsters...im almost an expert since I took care of over 10 of them. If a hamster is biting the wire of the cage, maybe it wants to get out and play. Do you play with it everyday? ^^ Hamsters need lots of exercise and attention so let it out every once in a while.
By nature, hamsters like a good old scratch. I have had my male syrian 16 months and he likes to sit in a certain part of his cage for a good scratch at the same time every evening! But if her skin is looking tender, or she is sratching the fur away take her to the vet as it could be mites.
As for the chewing, your doing everything right. If she has all those different things to chew on but is still insisting on chewing the cage then take her out and let her have a really long run in her hamster ball as it is attention seeking. Bar chewing is dangerous, it has been linked to brain damage, and is done through boredom, not, as many people believe, to grind their teeth down. A hamsters basic diet will do that for them.
One thing i do find that helps distact Harry (my little furry bundle) from bar chewing is hard nuts still encased in their shells, like monkey nuts, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazel nuts. It keeps him occupied for hours chewing through the shells, dried pasta is another good one, and dried out corn on the cob. I hope this helps.
My hammy does that all the time. Seeing as hamsters were origanally (and still are kinda) wild animals and we humans just brought them into captivity, they don't like being in confined spaces very much. As well as cages, hamsters don't like being in: boxes, aquariums, or anything that has walls, or bars. As for the scratching, she does that as well. I think it's just that she gets itches just like you and I. Hope nothing is wrong with her!
She has you well trained to let her out to play when she bites her cage ;-) Cage biting is a common past time for rodents. Not much you can do other then use a tank or modified bin as her home - no bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment