Friday, July 31, 2009

Hamster Sticky Eye?

My hamster has his eye stuck together. It started off as a muscus film on top that would go away when i rinsed it off but now it seems that his eye is stuck 90% of the time and it takes me prying it with my fingers to open it. I've tried rinsing the eye out with salene solution and it works for a few hours but then his eye goes right back to being stuck the next morning. I've changed his bedding and cleaned his cage as well. Everything else about him seems regular and money is tight so i really can't afford a vet trip unless I have too. I was wondering if anyone has any home remedies to try or any helpful info! thanks in advance for any help :)
Answers:
He needs to see a vet asap . In the mean time make sure he is not in a draft and his cage is clean and warm . You should not pry the eye open . You could take a warm wet wash cloth and gently wipe the eye . You do not want to irritate it . Let it dry ,then apply some antibiotic ointment to the eye . If you use this I would change the bedding in his cage to news paper or the shavings will stick to the ointment . Sounds like he has a respiratory infection or eye infection or both . That's why he needs to see a vet . It does not take long for such small animal to die from an infection . Part of being a responsible pet owner is to make sure you are able to provide veterinary care when you buy a pet ,
The vet can give you some medicine for it. Try keeping the eye clean. The medicine only costed about $16
This happened to my hamster! All you need to do is get a hot washcloth and put it on his eye for about 5 min, then open it very slowly with your fingers. It does get better after a week. Good Luck!
make payments to a vet
I had the same problem with my dwarf hamster! It was not so bad though. you should probably not be prying it open though.I have some polysporin eye drops, and i just put some on a q-tip and put it on his eye. it cleared up after a while. but really, prying it open probably aggravates it and hurts your hammie! meanwhile, it doesn;t seem to bother the hamster
Okay, my cat had this problem but it may work for your pet too. i actually called the vet and this is the advise they gave me which worked. I have used it on two kittens and two cats. There was one time where it didn't go away and i had to take my cat in for eye drops but it has worked all the other times. Dissolve salt in warm water and using clean cotton wool clean out the eye three times a day. I made new solution each time, I used new cotton wool each time and I never dipped the used cotton wool back in the container so it was still sterile. Otherwise you could call the vet and ask someone there. usually the nurses are happy to give advise. But of course if it doesn't go away you may need a vet visit. The evt told me that anything that has to do with the eyes should be looked at as it could cause vision damage or blindness over time.
u have to bring him to the vet ASAP. i remember i once got one hamster is in a similar condition but after that his eye got swollen and in the end his eye when blind

No comments:

Post a Comment