Friday, July 31, 2009

Hamster situation: I dont have a clue what to do?

Ive been researching hammys for a long time and Ive had pone for about a year and a half or so, his name is pooh bear, a cream syrian. anyway, I bought a new female today. her name is temorarily Rose. she was friendly right away and after only one time of jumping from my petting, she warmed up to me and I was just handleing her a little while ago. anyway, I put she an pooh bear together after holding them apart for aqbit, and they like eachother, so they have been mating for a quite a while now, but I was reading about them and i keep seeing that they should be separated right after mating so they dont kill eachother, but pooh bear is wicked laid back and i doubt hed do sauch a thing, but i know theres the possibility ecven though they seem to enjoy eachothers company even when just sitting next to eachother. i dont know what to do, im gonna serparate them tonight anyways, until i know just what to do. i know all about the momma care and babycare, but its just this particlar situation
Answers:
Please separate them. Pooh maybe laid back with you, but hamsters are still controlled by instinct. When the babies are born, if Pooh doesn't kill them, the mother probably would, as his presence would make her very nervous. If nothing else, she would abandon them. Now that Pooh has 'done his male duty', so to speak, keep them separated. You never know, the female may try to attack him, resulting in major injury/death, now that she is probably pregnant.
I think it'd be OK to allow them to see each other. Syrians are 'naturally' UN-social I hear. I'm most cases anyway, in my own studies, they usually don't like company. Only that of a humans. My Syrian, Duke and my Dwarf, Avril love to see each other. But he attacks her if she gets to hyper,lol. He has never been: bite,bite,kill,kill. Or very vicious, but we will nip her and squeak at her. I think mainly cause he thinks she is allowing, but or else they like each others company. I keep a close eye on them, and watch them extra if they get very close. But they play, and enjoy each others company.
For your to Syrians, I would separate them. I've heard sad story's of people waking up to a nasty mess in their cage. Which breaks my heart. My Duke is a darling, but I still don't trust him with Avril. I'd separate them, but allow them to visit and enjoy each other, and of course; remove if fighting occurs. Have fun with your baby Hams! I've always wanted to have babies around. ^ ^ Hope this helped!
Better safe than sorry. Separate them.
no matter how "wicked laid back" you think your hammie is they have a tendency to eat other hamsters who invade their space...meaning new hamsters added to their cage, mating partners, and even their babies..if you know all about care after the birth of the babies then you should know that hamsters aren't a "wicked laid back" with each other as they are with people
sorry
Seperate them. Besides the simple fact that Syrians tend to be solitary creatures and only get together to mate. If you leave the male in the cage he will eat the young or stress the mother into eating the young. Add to this fact if you leave the father and mother together within 24 hours of giving birth he will once again impregnate the mother hammy. Thereby causing back to back breeding, increasing the risk of death to both mother and young.
Why are you breeding hamsters?
Where did you get your hamsters?
What do you plan to do with the babies?
The reason I ask this is because hamsters breed fast, problems in hamsters are bred in such as maloclusions and diabetes. Breeding hamsters is a large responsibility and should only be done with maturity. Reading your post I see that you must be a child. Children should never breed animals. What will you do should your pet need a vet? These are all important things for you to think about before commiting to breeding hamsters. Hamsters are living things and need a lot of care.
So think carefully before you breed your hamsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment