Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hamster Question?

Okay, I want to get a hamster but they don't have any at the one pet store there is where I live {its a small island called kauai}. So my question is if I get someone I know to buy me one on another island and fly over with it, how do you think it will handle; it would probably be about a 30min travel including driving to the airport, ect.
If not, what else would you suggest I do?
And if so, is there anything I should do when it arrives? Just leave it alone for a while?
I was thinking have it fly over in the morning so it would be sleeping, because they're nocturnal right??
Answers:
I've driven several hamsters 4.5hrs in the car when going to and from uni- they were all fine. The travelling time to some extent isn't the issue its the way in which you move it.
If your moving it by road it should be fine as long as it doesn't get stressed out- after all, they are often transported in massive lorries for pet shops!
In terms of flying it tho, i'm not sure thats a great idea with the pressure the little guy will feel- sorry! I would have thought a bumpy boat journey would also be very stressful for it.
Hi,
I will not advice sending the hamster over like that, it will cause the hamster to be very stressed, and it might die of dierrea on the way there.
I had a pair once and the travel took me 30 mins and a few days later it died of stress. I guess you will have to find a breeder, it will be better
Good Luck:)
Sabby
it will do fine, they are nocturnal, and let it alone for the first day or two, to adjust.
our hamsters travel 3 hours one way in a car...just strap those little cages in with seatbelts and they are good to go so a 30 min travel time should be ok...can they not be with the checked baggage but in the cabin?

No comments:

Post a Comment