Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hamster Questions?

I'm getting a hamster but idk which species is the nicest or best to get. I will be getting the hamster in September so I'll will have time to save money for all things that it'll need. I'm probably buying my hamster in Petsmart or Petco. So My questions are...
1.) What's the best specie of hamster to get and why?
2.) What will be the things I need to get and around how much money does each and everything cost?
3.) Do hamsters need shots or anything like that?
4.) If you answered question 1 what cage should i get?
5.) Is there any hamster that lives more then 5 years?
Answers:
1.) What's the best specie of hamster to get and why?
I personally LOVE Campbell Dwarf hamsters and Roborovski's because they are just so darn cute! But for beginners, I would recommend getting a Syrian or a Teddy Bear, because they are easier to handle. Also, there are NO particular breeds of hamsters that would bite or would not bite - it's all in their individual personalities, and depends on how comfortable they are with you. Try handling them at the pet store, you'll know which one to get when you see them!
Also, I personally prefer female hamsters because they don't have scent glands like the males - so they smell a lot less.
2.) What will be the things I need to get and around how much money does each and everything cost?
I will list what I have for my hamster, and how much they cost from Petco - note these are all from a Petco in New York City so your local Petco or PetSmart may be cheaper:
Living:
CritterTrail One cage - $35 (I don't use their included water bottle or wheel because their quality is not very good.)
SuperPet glass water bottle - $6
Silent Spinner wheel - $5
CritterTrail Outhouse - $4 (hamsters are easily potty-trained! look on my resources list on potty-training your hamster)
Charlie Chinchilla sand - $8 (I use this in place of the potty litter that CritterTrail gave me with the outhouse, but note that you HAVE to use chinchilla SAND and NOT "chinchilla dust"!! Dust is very very bad, it will cause severe respiratory problems for your hamster)
Carefresh Ultra - $6 (for Fall/Winter/Spring bedding)
Yesterday's News - $9 (for Summer bedding)
Kleenex tissues - tear them into small pieces and give them to your hamster, they will build a nest with it!
Food %26 Snacks:
Hazel Hamster food - $7 (the best, and healthiest type of hamster food on the market now! better than LM Farms or Kaytee or Vitakraft)
Kaytee Healthy Toppings - $3 (my hamsters LOVE the Papaya and pumpkin seed flavors, and I love it because it's so healthy)
Play:
Hamster ball - $5
Cardboard toilet paper roll - they are my hamster's favorite toys!
3.) Do hamsters need shots or anything like that?
No, they don't.
4.) If you answered question 1 what cage should i get?
I like the CritterTrail One cage because it's small and light and easy to clean, and it's got enough room (and 2 floors!) for your hamster. Whatever you do, DON'T buy those "palace" cages because they are IMPOSSIBLE to clean!! That and they get very smelly when it's warm, because they are poorly ventilated.
Another good brand is Habitrail, if you see those. They have lots of accessories and extensions, and are also light and easy to clean.
5.) Is there any hamster that lives more then 5 years?
Unfortunately, no. sometimes I wish my baby hamsters would stay with me for 25 years, like a chinchilla :)
The best advice I can give you is, since you know where you want to purchase the critter from, go there and scope out all the questions that you asked. They carry all the products and most of the hamsters are in cages already. So you can see what they like and play with etc. Not sure on the life span but I love the "Teddy Bear" hamsters. They are the cutest. Good luck!
Teddy bear (I think that's what its called) would probably be the cutest. I don't know much about hamsters, but I think they might need shots. Oh, and you should probably get a cage sized for at least 4 hamsters. THe more roomy, the better for a hammy-hamster!
1) golden hamster, Syrian hamster, teddy bear hamster, black bear hamster. They are all the same breed and the biggest and easiest to handle and take care of. Only get one if you are getting this breed because they are really solitary and can not handle one another.
2) Look at petco and petsmart internet sites to find exact costs but here is what you need.
-cage
-plastic wheel
-toilet paper rolls
-hamster food
-water bottle
-bedding (not ceder or pine)
3) No I have had many hamsters and i never ever took them to the vet for shots or anything.
4) Wire. Plastic tube ones look good but are EXTREAMLY hard to clean. Find a mixture of tubes and wire. Also Aquariums are easy to see the hamster but are hard to clean and get smelly quick because of the poor air flow.
5) They can live that long but only if they are taken perfectly care of and there is no breed that on average lives longer than that.
Good luck!
I like the larger teddy bear hamsters. My friend and I adopted one from Petco. My friend works there and someone brought a sick one in. He has a little growth on his chin that got infected so the people that had him decided they didn't want him anymore. But he's the sweetest little guy ever. When he was sick, we had to feed him with a little feeding syringe and when he was done eating, he'd just push it away so cute like. He's like a little tiny puppy. He's never bit me. We have ours in a 10 gallon aquarium with a little igloo house and a wheel (that he's afraid of cause it squeeks a lot). But we let him out a lot. We usually put him in a ball, but on occasion we let him run around freestyle. If you handle the hamsters a lot, they really can be freindly. Our hamster loves to be handled. I think the tank and everything cost us about $20-$25. Not too much. I don't think you have to get hamsters shots. I don't think there are any laws about that, but I'm sure you can if you'd feel safer about it. Unfortunately, all hamsters have a life expectancy of 2-3 years. Mice are the same, but I had pet mice that lived for just over 4 years. So I guess with the right care, they can live a relatively long life. Hamsters really can make great pets, but they do require care. A lot of people get them because they think they are low maintanence. But the more you spend time with the hamster, the more people friendly it'll be and the happier and healthier it will be too.
Oh, and deffinately get something for them to chew on to make sure their teeth stay healthy. They sell relatively cheep chew toys for them, but you can also give them an empty toilet paper roll or something. Actually, you can also make a house for them rather than buying one out of a little box or something. Hamsters don't care about asthetics. Just as long as they have a place to hide. But I would deffinately get a wheel for it and maybe an excercise ball cause they do need excercise.
You should get a Panda bear hamster because their the nicest hamster you can get. The things and the hamster would cost 100 dollars. I think you should get a three story house so your hamster would be happy and heathy. I don't think hamsters can live up to 5 years. Here's one more tip: You should play with your hamster every day. So that' s all I can tell you so.... BYE!
Hamsters are great pets to have! I have two female dwarf hamsters, and have had 2 female syrian hamsters in the past!Here are your answers:
1). What's the best specie of hamster to get and why?= I would recommend a syrian hamster. Unlike the dwarf hamster, they are very easy to hold, and I like them since they are bigger then dwarf hamsters.
2). What will be the things I need to get and around how much does each and everything cost?=
waterbottle= $2.50-$5.00
food bowls= $2.50-$5.50
food= $5.00-$12.00
treats= $5.00-$8.00
bedding= $15.00-$20.00
toys=$5.00-$15.00
cage= $15.00-$30.00
nesting material= $5.00=$8.00
other stuff= $5.00-$20.00
So, the total could roughly be: $60.00-$123.50. And that is without the price of the hamster, too!
So, you might want to make a lot of money before getting a hamster, and all of its needs!
3). Do hamsters need shots or anything like that?= No, not like dogs need yearly shots. The answer is no.
4). If you answered question 1 what cage should I get?= I would recommend getting a cage that seperate levels. Unlike the dwarf hamster, so would preful only 1 level in his cage, the syrian hamsters (and other big hamsters, compared to the dwarf hamsters!), like have more then 1 level to climb on.
5). Is there any hamster that lives more then 5 years?= I am not sure about this question. I tried looking up "oldest living hamster" on Yahoo!, but, I couldn't find anything. I am very sorry!
I hope that answers your questions! If you have anymore questions about hamsters, you can email me at: pethelper4@yahoo.com! I would glad to help you with any hamster questions! Thanks, and good luck making enough money!
My family has three hamsters, two regular hamsters, and one dwarf hamster... I think the regular ones are nicer, but our somtimes pee on us. : ( Our dwarf hamster poops a lot but he doesn't bite that much (most do) I guess that fact would depend on its life style before and after. Anyway our reg. hamters have a glass 1ft. by 2ft. cage w/ a tower. Our dwarf hamster has a smaller plastic travel(w/ handle) cage. But, you would need a water bottle w/ the little metal ball in the end, and a food dish, buy hamtser food that says it's for hamsters. Don't get cedar bedding for it some hamsters and gerbels are alergic to it, try to give it yellow wood shavings! good luck!
1) the best species it a teddy bear hamster (syrian, panda, golden, fancy hamster) because they are bigger so they are eaiser to hold and bite less
2) chew sticks 1-5 dollars, cage 25-50, run around ball 5-15dollars, water bottle, food dish, food 8-15dollars, bedding 5-20 dollars!
3) Only if they get sick or something otherewise no!
4) Critter trail2 and critter trail dazzle are good cages
5) no there isn't .the average life span of a hamster is 2-3 yeas but some live for 4 years! It depends on how you take care of your hamster
this is a good site to go to http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hamsters/...
i'm not sure on the best hamster to get, but when i got my hamsters i just looked at the cage they were in and looked at all the hamsters, just observe them and one will catch your eye. just don't rush to get one you gotta pick them carefully. all of mine are so sweet and nice, but this one time i got this hamster and she was very mean, that was only cuz i had to choose fast. the cages cost a lot at petco,but pick a cage that is right for ur hamster, you'll need to save some money when you need to buy food, and bedding again, most likely u'll wanna buy ur hamster everything, thats how i'am. buy the some treats too. they really like them. u can get some things cheap at swapmeets and stuff like that. idk if they need shots. idt so. fancy hamsters live about 5yrs but they're big. they'll say how long they live at petco. hope i helped
get a Syrian, friendly and longest life span 2-4 yes, no shots needed, go to petsmart they have all u need, cage $30-40 hammie $10-$20. food $5 bag, exercise ball $5, bedding super shavin's $7 bag lasts a long time it's compressed. get a crittertrail cage, many styles to choose from, I have 3 now, dazzler and X are the best. no they don't live 5 yrs, if you're lucky 3-4. Pick a friendly active one about 2 months old, that's how old they are at petsmart.

No comments:

Post a Comment