Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hedge hogs?

Well my poor hamsters got loose and my cat spanky had a good time. I was so mad, Well I heard hedge hogs are good pets. I'm going to lay off hamsters for awhile. I want to know everything. I I'm not letting the cats near them. I'm going to get a 50 gallon tank, with a lid. I want to know how much they cost, what species to get, male or female. All that stuff please help Oh and Baby had her kittens last night I was totally wrong. I want 2 also. Is a male and male a good idea or female and female please help
Answers:
I loved having hedgehogs, they are really great at defending themselves. if it gets loose and your cat tries to take a bite the hedgehog will curl up in a ball, start hissing and have it's spins out , major ouch for kitty if she doesn't lay off! also quils do get loose and hurt like a b*tch if you step or lay on one. aquariums are not the best for hedgies since it likes to hold onto their ammonia in their pee. if you can get a nice big hamster cage if you are just having one and use wood chips for bedding since kitty litter will get in their lungs and make them sick! i'd advise just sticking to one hedgie for now. they really are great pets but they will fight with each other and breed all the time if they are together..trust me not as pleasant as you might think. at night when they active (nocturnal) they are noisy and when they breed they are worse! hedgies are also very expensive ( sometimes worse then ferrets)and do require special food so they stay nice and healthy . so if you decide to get a hedgie only get one for now till you know for sure you like them. when you decide to get more and you get another of the opposite sex you will have to keep them separated at all times! if you don't it is highly likely they'll try to kill each other if they aren't busy breeding.
as for breed wise it's all on the color that you prefer!
Just advise on the cats - females because they do not spray.
You might try this site for the replacement pets: http://hedgehogclub.com/care.html...
(( i dont no a lot ))well they do make good pets, they are nocturnal which will come in handy if you are still in sckool.
they need a special diet.
most poeple handle them with gloves and such and it isnt nessicary =, there backs arent really that sharp
ie never actually had one but ive wanted one for a while
i have 2 boy rats one hairless
and chinchilla and both of them are excelent pets
sorry i cant really help you but good luck to you and oyur new pet

No comments:

Post a Comment