Saturday, May 22, 2010

Have any of you heard of this?

I had two male hamsters from the same litter. A brown one and a white one. The brown one was my favorite. I left them alone overnight with plenty of food, water and I cleaned the cage before I left. I get home the next morning and I assume they got into a fight. My white hamster had both of his ears bitten off and the only thing left of my brown hamster was his body and skull. I freaked out when I saw it. At first I didn't know what I was looking at then I realized that it was his skull . The white hamster was sitting in a corner, I opened the cage to get a closer look and it was horrible. I went to tell my Dad, when he came over and looked the white hamster was eating off the brown one. I checked the food and there was plenty in the bowl and a ton of water in the bottle. I took the white one to petsmart and told them that I was terrified of him and when they took him he was still eating on the brown and a guy that works there told me that it was common with hamsters, it that true?
Answers:
actually yes it is when i was really young i had to hamsters and my brown and white hamster died while i was at school i came home and went to pet them like usual but i looked in nd the white one was eating my brown one so yes it is horrible and savsge but its just something they do and the other died 2 days later we found out that they both died of an infection all i said to my mom was " Nice Birthday Present"
O M G i never ever ever ever ever heard of this stuff before and i didnt know hamsters can be kiIIers xD I heard of biting but not eating tiII you see the bones and the meat of the other hamster xD Nope never heard of a cannibaI hamster
But then again maybe the hamster hated the food and hated the other hamster so it ate it or the hamster is mentaIIy retarded xD
Yeah bad stuff, I once had a cannibal hamster ate the head off too, so Im assuming the Petsmart guy was right.
Hamster mothers in nature eat their babies. So for males, to fight is very common
Good luck :)
Sabby
yes they will i had a litter and the father hamster ate 3 of the babys
yes very true. they will eat each other. a mother wll also eat her newborns because she is lacking vitamins and minerals. you need to get a mineral block and put peanut butter in their food bowl too.
so sorry to hear. if you had syrian hamsters then yes they do kill each other! syrians are SOLITARY! only dwarf hamsters can be housed in pairs so whoever told u that they can be housed together is wrong! next time maybe you should only get one syrian. email me at:mustang_spirit_@hotmail.com if u have any other questions
I have heard that hamsters fight but i know for one thing they cant eat eachother! they are vegeterains aint they?
And i dont think they fight that much. did u exaggerate a bit?
so the answer is no i have not heard it before but when i read it i did .Get it?
Hamsters are not vegitarians, They eat insects, worms, dead animals, and baby/rival hamsters. You should have researched a lottle before aquiring a pet, any pet, any website you go on about hamsters tells you that Syrians will fight to the death. So in essence, you are responsible for the hamsters death.
Hamsters are solitary animals and do not like other hamsters to be in their territory. And yes, hamsters (and most types of rodents) will eat a dead cagemate.
I don't know why they do it, probably because it's dangerous in the wild to have a rotting corpse next to you. Predators are more likely to come around if they smell it. But it's nothing to worry about. Sorry that happened.
omgsh im so glad i have guinea pigs and not hamsters! yikesssss!!
I know that male hamsters/gerbils do not get along well, I'm sorry about your hamsters!

No comments:

Post a Comment