Saturday, May 22, 2010

Harlan Teklad rat diet ?

Does anyone know where I can get this food for my rats, I tried there website and it does not allow ordering ? Does anyone use this diet for there rats ? Is it good ?
Answers:
Rat Rescuers either get donations of the lab blocks from the company, or they buy in bulk from the company as a pet store would. Large manufacturers like Harlan Teklad like to sell their product to large establishments to make it worth their cost. They are not set up to sell to us individuals. That's probably why there was no way for you to order it straight from the company.
The following Rescues sell Harlan Teklad rat diet. They even repackage the product into 5 pound bags to make it easier for you to buy it. If you buy the product from them you will be helping to support some really good people who rescue rats. I know these people from the rat-only forums I'm on.
Ratz Realm
Southern California
http://www.ratzrealm.com/id25_htm.htm...
Kim's Ark
Massachusetts
http://www.kimsarkrescue.org/content/vie...
The Rat Shop
Northern California
http://www.theratshop.com/shop.php?cat=3...
The Crafty Rat
California (had to e-mail them to find out where they were)
http://www.craftyrat.com/merchant2/merch...
I have personally bought product from The Rat Shop and was impressed with their service, and I live in Canada. If you do choose to buy from them also buy a copy of the 12 Edition of the Rat Health Care Book. You will never regret having this book at your fingertips.
http://www.theratshop.com/shop.php?cat=5...
I have never used Harlan Tekland myself because it is too expensive for me to purchase at $100.00 minimum order to make the cost of the shipping charges to Canada worthwhile. Many rat-keepers on the rat forums recommend the 2018 and 2014 type of lab blocks for adult rats, and the 8604 for pregnant and nursing mothers and their growing young. These rescuers wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't good :) I trust them on that.
spazrats
"my life has gone to the rats"
Try giving HT a call:
Harlan Teklad Animal Diets %26 Bedding
P.O. Box 44220
Madison, Wisconsin 53744-4220
Tel.: (608) 277-2070
Fax: (608) 277-2066
Their CSRs seem to be very helpful when I call them. In some cases you can place your order directly with them then pick up the supplies at a local/regional depot. I'm fortunate to have one of their warehouses less than 15 minutes away from me.
NB: There is a minimum order of $100 USD ... which is a LOT of food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment