Saturday, May 22, 2010

Have any tips on taking care of a dwarf hamster?

I'm getting one soon and I've got the gist of food and water and cage ish. Have any tips on keeping the cute thing alive and happy? something i wont easily find on google?
Answers:
dwarf hamsters are also prone to diabetes... unless you get them from a reputable breeder --- but being diabetic doesn't mean they're less cute.
so i guess what i'm saying is that other than food, cage, bedding and toys... you should also keep in mind that you shouldn't give too much sugary treats. giving your hammie some veggies --- like broccoli are as good as giving them sweet treats.
also, it would be best to get some food that do not contain corn syrup. the harry/hazel hamster food are very good.
a playpen as well as a hamster ball will make your hammie happy. just make sure you don't let them stay in the ball for more than 15 minutes.
good luck!
i have a dwarf hamster is to make sure they have enough food and water everyday , and clean their cage weekly, also be careful when you pet it , it may turn its back and bite you
You have the basics. Food, water, bedding (I use Care Fresh. A little pricey but the very best.) An exercise wheel, toilet paper tubes to chew on and go through, and last but not least, if a dwarf hamster, you might want to get two out of the same cage to live together. I read that they are happier in pairs and live fairly well together. Pick either two males or two females unless you want millions of little baby hamsters.
I have two dwarf hamsters. Here are somethings that I found that my hamsters like:
1). I found that they like to sleep ALL the time. They like it when you don't bother them during the day. I would recommend either playing with them early in the morning, or, late at night.
2). My hamsters like to drink out of water bowls. I am not sure that if your hamster is going to drink out of a bowl or a water bottle, but, if they do drink out of a bowl, then, I would recommend cleaning it out each day. They can get bedding and food in the bowl.
3). They only need to be let out for 5-10 minutes each night. After that, they tend to get tired and want to go back into their cage.
4). Dwarf hamsters LOVE treats. So, when you get your new dwarf hamster, I would suggest giving them treats every other week.
5). Dwarf hamsters need to have their cages cleaned out each week. They like having clean cages, of course, they like to get it all dirty again!
This is all that I could think of for now. I hope that this helps! Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment