Saturday, May 22, 2010

Have you Ever had a Hamster put to sleep for health complications?

I have a hamster with a large growth that has taken over one of her hind legs. She seems to be quite uncomfortable and just hides in her little house all the time. She is 2.5 year old chinese dwarf hamster. I don't usually take rodents to the vet, but if I took her, I'm thinking they'll probably euthanize her. I don't want this to happen, but it might ease her suffering. I'm not cruel and I care about this little hamster, which is why I'm asking the question. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this problem, or for some reason had to have a hamster put to sleep. Is it pricy? I just have no idea. Please help.
Answers:
Hamsters and other little pets, just like dogs and cats, rely on us to make the right decisions for them. It is our job. The last decision we are called on to make is to let them go when the end comes, so they do not have to suffer. It sounds like the time has come for your little one. You don't have to like the decision, and it's OK to be sad, but you have to let her go for her sake, not yours. Most vets either don't charge or don't charge much. Please call them.
I put mine to sleep in the toilet when he was really old. I think of it as a burial at sea.
Had a Guinea Pig put to sleep because it had some brain problem...
Take it to the vet...
im sorry for ur hamster.
i dont know about the vet thing though.
you should take it to the vet. 2 1/2 years is old for a hamster. There is always the possiblilty the vet may try to remove the growth with surgery, but if it is really that big, and she's not acting herself and she's old, then she might not survive surgery. Also it would probally be pricey. You should take her to the vet, and if she needs to be euthanized they can do it humanely. Don't let her suffer. She is your pet and you owe it to her.
I'm so sorry, and I know this isn't exactly an answer you were looking for, but I recomend taking her to the vet. I know how hard it would be to lose her(after my hamster ran away, I cried for hours!!), but she's already pretty old, and a painless death would be easier for both of you. I know you will be sad, but this way would be much better than any other way. I'm sorry for the decision you have to make.
Some times the best thing to do to end an animal's pain and suffering is to get them put to sleep, but if the vets can help they'll do every thing they can. I'll keep your hamster in my prayers.
It is not cruel to euthanize a dying a suffering animal. Tumor growth can be removed if caught early, but it seems as if you have waited too long.
If she is uncomfortable that take her to the vet to PTS. The tumor will keep growing, getting larger and larger and begin leaching more nutrients from the body as it grows. It is a slow and painful death.
I have had a few rats PTS when they developed illnesses that were not treatable(inoperable tumors, heart failure, etc) It is a hard choice but you must choose what is best.
Euthanasia is not too pricey. I paid about $80, and it was worth being able to ease the suffering of a pet I loved so much. It was my responsibility as a pet owner to choose compassion over price.
I don't think you should, as much as I love animal. Her lifespan is really short, and maybe after all it wasn't meant to be. So just try treating her the best you can because if you go to the vet the bill will be very expensive. So just love her the best you can until the day she has to go.
No, I haven't

No comments:

Post a Comment