Friday, May 8, 2009

Hamster losing hair?

my hamster hair is coming out by its right behind and im not sure if its a blad spot thats growing, it continues to chew that area or if its just loosing hair, im not able to send it to a vet, and where can i send hamsters that i dont want anymore?
one of my hamsters is also huge thoes that mean anything
Answers:
I don't know if hamsters get that particular glandular disease that ferrets do, but that's what it sounds like. You other hamster, the huge one, is it fat? Or is it pregnant? hard to tell when I can't see them. If you are not able to take the animals to the vet, please don't get any more. They both should be seen by a vet. You can call some vets offices or your local human animal shelter and ask how you can give up your pets.
cancer
he has a very bad spot maybe fleas
glands are back there, maybe irritating, how old are they? take them to the humane society or animal shelter if u no longer want them.
Well, I had a hamster like that, and the vet said it may have been mites, but I was never given a definite answer. There are a few signs to check for: Does it have black/dark spots on his/her ears?, Is the spot being itched a lot or does it look like the spot's spreading? It's a shame you can't take it to a vet. I hope you find a way. It would really help. Try contacting a shelter or something in your area. They'll probly help. I wish I could tell you more, but I'd have to see it first. Also, your other hamster, do you know what type it is? Some hamsters are generically larger than others. It might just be a larger hamster. If not, it may be pregnant. In which case, it needs to be seen by a vet asap.
Well, when I owned guinea pigs, the same type of thing happened. The vet said that it was most likely a Vitamin C deficiency. So, we put a Vitamin C solution into the water, and that helped. We also gave them orange peels, which are high in Vitamin C. It seemed to help.
First don't do as advised by Luke J, hamster can't have any citrus ever. It will make them extremely sick.
Syrian hamster (large breed) males have scent glands on their sides and on their hind legs. These can become clogged and will need to be expressed (best done by a vet) or they will become infected. The area where the scent glands are does have thinner hair to balding.
What do you mean by send hamster you don't want any more? Are they babies you bred that you can't find homes for or are they the ones you promised to care for when you got them? What breed are they also. Are you wanting to give them up because you can't afford and care for them properly (including vet bills)? If this is why then that's a good decision to make for their well-being. If you are serious about finding new homes for your hamsters, place ads in the papers, put up a notice at the vets and ask friends and realatives if they want them. Take them to the humane society or call a animal rescue. How many do you have? Also if they are a Syrian (large breed), they MUST be housed alone and not together with another Syrian or they will fight causing injury to each other or death to one or both. These are solitary animals and MUST be kept this way.
I've had Syrians over a 31 years at different times and was a breeder for several years back in the 1980's. I also have bred Russian dwarfs in the past and aside from my small animal rescue, breed mice and rats. These animals are sod privately from my animals up for adoption and their new owner are told they were bred and not rescued. Only 4 of my rats are rescues and 2 are up for adoption with them. I wear several hats at home where I run the rescue and sell my bred babies from. I have gotten help requests on what to do from all over the world with small animals and I try my best to answer them and like with you try to educate some one on what to do or with what something may be wrong. I'm not a vet, but have day time access to one if needed with a phone call. Night/weekend time by emergency only, they charge $100 for a night visit so I try to handle things with a call.
Oh come on, at least try it at a vets before you give up on it! You must've known before you got it that it might have health problems?
If it's chewing itself it probably has mites, which a vet can easily treat. At least get the hamster checked! Or perhaps if you don't care about it it would be better for the hamster to be rehomed, try the ASPCA.
Chalice

No comments:

Post a Comment