Friday, May 8, 2009

Hamster Help?

ok i know ive posted questions about getting a fish but i know i want a hamster. i know that at my local petco they have a bunch of hamsters. but what is the best kind to get. ive heard about dwarf ones? is it better to get a male or a female? how much do they usually cost? how do i take care of it? (how often do i replace the food and fresh water?) how often do you usually clean the cage? whats the best kind of cage to get? any additional comments would be great. thanks!
Answers:
i have a dwarf hamster myself. But there are other breeds that also make good pets like syrians, teddy or panda bear hamsters. It really doesn't matter what the gender of the hamster is. The females are really no different than the males. I've had 2 males and one female and there's not a huge difference. Depending on the breed, hamsters can cost anywhere from under $10 to about $25. I think my hamster was about $15 and she's a winter white dwarf hamster. Taking care of your hamster once they come home isn't too difficult. I replace the food in the morning and fill it up a bit more when my hamster wakes up around 10, since they are mostly active during the night. Give your hamster fresh water everyday. It's also important that they get out of their cage atleast once a day for a half hour. They can roll around in their ball, you can hold them or you may have one of those little hamster pens they can run around in, but ALWAYS keep a good eye on them since they can easily climb and escape. Clean their cage once a week, or depending if the cage gets dirty before then. The best kind of cage has a ton of space for burrowing and roaming. I don't reccomend "bin cages" but here is the cage i own and my hamster loves it. http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...
You'd probably want to spend between $20 to $50 on a good quality cage. I also don't reccomend "starter cages" they're so small and cheaply made. And for bedding the best kind is aspen. DO NOT use cedar chips. I use pine and it does the job. Also for the hamster's cage, you might need to buy a food dish, which they are pretty cheap. Also maybe a wheel or a little house and something to chew on that way they're not bored in their cage. One last thing, try not to handle your hamster too much when you take it home. Let them get settled into their new surroundings even though you want to hold your little friend and become best friends. I hope all that info helped! Good luck!
they are the best kind just ask petco they will tell you everything you need to know will you help me wit my question plz its ok but i just found this stray cat it wont leave me alone so we are i guess keeping it but i dont knoiw how to take care of it
I have had 3 dwarf hamsters and 1 guinea pig!! I have to say that I love my guinea pig more than anything. She is more calm then the dwarf hamsters. But anyways I have always liked to get females but make sure that you don't mix a female with a male they breed like crazy. Dwarf hamsters usually cost about 20 to 30 bucks. Guinea pigs costs 40- and up. Make sure you let them out everyday at least twice. Show them love and affectionate they are just like dogs and cats. Make sure you try and get it accustomed to its surrondings make sure its not scared but feels safe. Feed and empty out their bowl everyday!! Give them fresh water every week unless they run out before then. Clean the dwarf hamsters cage out every two weeks, but clean the guinea pigs cage out every week. (They are BIG POOPERS LOL) Make sure the cage is big enough to run around in but not huge!! Anyways GOOD LUCK! :)
I would not get a dawf.! they tend to bite alot. I have had hamster. My favorite kind is a teddy bear hamster. try to get one that is little or one that has been handled. The younger you get them the better. That way they will learn that your touch is ok and they don't have to bite u.
I bought a male Fancy Dwarf Hamster at Petco in my town. He is a very good pet. I have never had a female but the males are great. I bought mine for $10. I have a water dish or bottle in the cage and change it every other day unless it is really dirty. I have a food dish in the cage and change it every week or so. I clean the cage every 1-2 weeks maybe sooner if it starts to smell too bad. You can buy a plastic cage that can have tubes and stuff added on to it but I have a 40 gallon aquarium. It's really big and I don't have to worry about him escaping. I also take him out and play with him for about 10 minutes everyday. You can also buy him a little ball they have at Petco it's only a few bucks. My hamster loves to go in it and run around the room
Okay, I could copy and paste a whole website, but instead, you can go to
www.hamsterhideout.com
It will tell you EVERYTHING!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR HAMMIE!
I've just got a dwarf hamster a couple of days ago at Petsmart so i think getting one at Petco is no problem. I love dwarf hamsters b/c they always stay small and have lots of energy. Another thing about them is that they can live alone or together, unlike the syrian (teddybear hamster). I got a female b/c it's just your personal preference, it makes a very little difference. I got my hamster for about $10. I just replace her water bottle when she's done and i change her food every 24 hrs. Also don't leave veggies or fruits in it's cage for more than 2 hours or it'll turn bad. You should clean the cage every week so it doesn't stink up. I like the wire cage the best b/c there's a lot of ventilation and my hammy loves it. I would not recommened getting a plastic one b/c you hamster would probably bite it and escape. I hope you have fun with your new hammy. Good luck!
the best hamster to get is a syrian, ie teddy bear, honeybear, pandabear, short hair long hair, dalmation, etc etc they are the biggest hamsters and the most friendly. Buy a crittertrail cage at petsmart or petco, feed them daily, change the water daily clean the cage weekly, all the way clean, and buy an exercise ball for them to run in at night for about an hour, let it run on your bed supervised of course. They are easy to care for. just give it time to get used to it's new home, also use super shavin's for bedding, some of the others cause respiratory problems. Petsmart has all you need to get a hamster which will cost $10-20, depending on which one you choose, also the blackbears are very friendly. I have 3 syrians all in separate cages, as they live alone, they don't like other hamsters as they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment