Friday, May 8, 2009

Hamster help!?

My poor little Zero has what seems to be a growth on her rear end. I have called the Vet and they don't want to make an appt. until I talk to the Vet who handles pocket pets, she will be in tomorrow. Zero has a growth that seems to be a tish smaller than a ping pong ball. It's purple and red and it's so big she walks funny and rarely is able to use her wheel. She is roughly 2 years old and I have had her her whole life. I just noticed this because she isn't one who likes to be taken out of her cage more than once a week. So this must have grown quickly. Any ideas? Thanks!
Answers:
Many small animal breeds that are used in clinical trials or medical research (hamsters, rats, gerbils, etc.) have inadvertently been bred over the decades to be especially susceptible to cancer. This is good for cancer research, bad for owners of these type of pets. When I first owned pet/fancy rats years ago, they would live up to six or seven years. Lately, I have been lucky to have one last two years. Tumors are always the culprit, and they happen fast. I feel for you. Lots of people don't understand just how much we can love these little critters. I cry every time I lose one. You may need to consider euthanasia. It is very unlikely that a vet will be able to help your poor Zero, and the cost for surgery could be pretty high (and the results iffy). Good luck, dear heart. Whatever happens, remember that Zero has had a good life because of you.
I had a rat once, and that turned out to be a tumor. She died shortly after. Get help quick!
she may be reaching her sell by date

No comments:

Post a Comment