Friday, May 8, 2009

Hamster help?

ive had this dwarf hamster for about 2 years now and i just noticed a big pink thing coming out underneath its tail lke a penis or something but not sure wat it is. so if anybody can tell me what this is pls let me no...is it bad is it normal...wat?
Answers:
its what you think it is my teddy bear hamsters came out around that time too don't worry i did and i asked the vet my mom thoghut it was a tumor lol its ok its nothing bad
sounds like his scrotum...male hamsters have extremely large testicals which begin showing around four months of age, these testicals are generally more noticeable on syrians than on dwarfs...It won't hang out all the time, usually it hangs out when the hamster is hot and trying to cool down...although you haven't seen it before, it's been there for awhile
don't worry too much, it is normal, although the scrotum is so disproportionately large on hamsters that some people worry the testicals are a tumor or something, it's not a health issue and it is normal
----
I say this with confidence, because from the information you've given me, your question is very similar to one I had when I had my first male hamster, this is a topic I've researched and discussed with my vet---however, I must also tell you that, if don't already take your hamster to the vet, then you should because he's getting up there in age (hamsters can live to be 3 to 5 years old so your hamster is over the hill compared to a human) and this is the time when he'll need to be cared for most
umm...those are its testicles...cant believe you didnt notice it before..lol (totally normal)
wash the area with saline water, that should do the trick
Good Luck :)
Sabby

No comments:

Post a Comment