Friday, May 8, 2009

Hamster help!!?

My hamster, Jesse is almost 3 years old, and I think he鈥檚 dying. He limps when he walks, he shakes, his eyes are always cold, he never comes out, and he lays in dead-like positions. Can someone tell me what鈥檚 wrong with him and what can I do?
Answers:
Since the hamster is pretty old and is showing general signs of ill health, I would say it's organ failure from old age. This is what people are really talking about when they refer to 'dying of old age'. I don't really think there's much a vet could do, but I do think you should go to a vet. For one thing, they can give you a better idea of what's going on than anyone on here, and they can euthanise the hamster if he is suffering.
It does sound like the hamster is suffering. I'd just like to say that euthanasia is far preferable to natural death, as it's a very peaceful way to go, whereas natural death is usually quite unpleasant and can involve prolonged suffering, even in small animals.
Chalice
Your hamster is probably dying.
Three years old is actually longer than most hamster live (two and a half).
The most common hamster disease (sounds like one that my hamster had when it died) is called "wet tail". Does your ham have discharge around its anal area? This disease is pretty much deadly by the time symptoms start to show.
My guess would be that your hamster is simply old. I'm so sorry, but I really dont' think there's much that can be done. Good luck and let me know what happens.
your lucky to have him live for 3 yrs a hamsters normal life span is aprox 2yrs if he is suffering then take him to the vet sorry to say there is no answer to this all hampsters have to go some time it is a shame that there life is so short
Oh,your hamster is saying it is time to go to heaven.There is nothing you cando.All are signs of old age.Treat you hamster the best.Hold and pet him.Give him one last hug and kiss.I wish you and your family he best.
It sounds like Jesse has reached the end of his life. Three years is pretty old for a hamster, so he's lived a wonderful, long life. Be happy that he had you to share his life with, and feed her his favourite treats and try to make him comfortable for his last days.
the hamster is most likey sick and to make it better you go to the place you bought it or to the vet. You should go to the place you bought it since the vet cost a lot. ( $50-100 ).
Yup, he's dying. Just leave him alone. Hamster's life spands are around 3-5 years, I'm so sorry! I was just wondering, though...does he ever let you hold him, or does he try to fight you?
Sorry, but I think he is dying. Give him lots of cuddles but be gentle obviously, let him know your there. And take him to the vet or at least call them. Or maybe he's just ill?
sounds like old age, it could be wet tail, is his bottom wet? discarge? be happy you had him that long 3 years is old in hammy years
either take him to the vet to be put to sleep or make him comfortable as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment