Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hamsters!!?

I havent decided yet but im thinking of getting a hamster...what should i expect in terms of costs, care, and cleaning?
Answers:
All the costs, care, and cleaning depends on what type of hamster(s) you get. Dwarf hamsters are probably the cheapest hamsters you can get, they on average probably about $8 each. I believe males cost more than females. Teddy bear hamsters, I heard they are about $50.
Bottles: around $10
Cage: $20 - over a $100. I think a fish tank is the best tank for the hamster, it is easier to keep clean.
Cleaning: Bedding for your hamsters can be $ 8 - $20. The eight dollar one are woodchips, which don't keep as clean as the more expensive beddings. Hamsters usually clean themselves.
I love hampsters I would sugest a black bear hampster their the sweetist mine NEVER bit me or anything. for cost I would say maybe $20 I dont really remeber but it wasnt too expensive.for care you should clean them at least three or two times a week because they can make a mess :) but hold him at least ten minutes a day if you can because that way they arent as afraid of humans and he wont try and run away when you do hold him, mine even slept on me.
Things you need to get for a hamster :(price will have to check with your local pet store)
Cage( prefably plastic combined with metal bars)
water bottle
food bowl ( optional)
excersize wheel
food (mix of nuts, sunflower seeds)
Treats (optional, but will be helpful )
cleaning, once a week will do.
Care, very easy, just take it out once awhile.
Cages can cost 20 and higher. Hamster can cost 8-20. Feeding cost about 8. Bedding cost about 8. Now when getting a hamster I would get any kind besides dwarf for your first one. Dwarf hamsters bite more and are harder to tame. But when you first get your hamster no matter what kind it is it may bite you. It does this bcuz he or she dosnt know you very well!! Let him or her smell your hand genly pet it and once you master doing this. ( you should also give her a treat so she knows she can trust you) Next step is picking her up. After Then soon enuff shell have full trust in you and the only time she may bite you is if you wake her up.
Now cleaning. All you have to do is clean it once a week. Put new bedding,food, and water in.
http://www.hamsterhideout.com/
Hamsters are cute, fun and inexpensive to care for. To get everything started for a hamster I would think about 100. I wouldn't go with a plastic hamster cage. I would go with a ten gallon tank and a second floor cage that would fit on top. That is what I had for my hamster. I works better than the plastic one. Hamsters like to nibble and the plastic one they make to much noise and after time can actually make a hole in the cage.
Well, personally I have had hamsters, and they arent much fun. For all the they give back to you, its just not worth it to clean a cage twice a week, spend money on food and supplies, and live in a smelly room. In the wild, hams are solitary creatures, and they dont really like human interaction that much, often running away when they hear the cage door opening. If you want a pet that will love you unconditionally, clamber to the cage door when it hears your voice, and actually do something, get a rat.
Id get a dwarf hamster. They cost about five bucks. The cage is like 40 for two stories. Food in big bags is like 10 dollars. And you have to clean there cage alot cause there home in also their toilet. id say every 3-7 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment