Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hamster(s) :]?

If you were to get two hamsters from one person (IE- from the same parents) that weren't opposite sexes, could they get along in one cage? My brother seems to think so but I told him I had my doubts. I heard of hamsters being territorial and killing eachother after a certain age...who's right?
Answers:
you are right---all hamsters get territorial after a certain age; mating hamsters can be difficult because sometimes they will mate and then one will eat the other, the same with siblings : after a certain age they don't care that they grew up together all they care is that this other hamster is in their space so one of them will eat the other, the same with mommy and babies if you do not separate them soon enough-the mom's will eat the babies...if you want to keep more than one in the same cage your best bet is to not get a hamster but instead get gerbils or mice (gerbils are best for children's pets because they have the good temperament of a European hamster yet are the size of a larger dwarf hamster, the color of a teddybear or a fancy hamster, and have the tail of a mouse)...
I've heard rumors on this forum that say that dwarf hamsters can be kept in the same cage but let me tell you-I have talked to my vet as well as my local breeder and they both agree that NO HAMSTER CAN BE KEPT IN THE SAME CAGE AS ANOTHER HAMSTER after they reach a certain age regardless of gender, family ties, or breed-the exception being when mating which only professional breeders should do
It really depend on what breed they are,
Syrian hamsters (golden hamsters, black bear hamsters, teddy bear hamsters) NO do not keep them in the same cage.
Dwarf. Yes.
I think it depends on what kind of hamsters you have. However I would recommend keeping them apart if they are of the opposite sex. When I was a kid I had two hamsters, male and female, they got along fine until one day they ended up killing each other. It can happen so randomly so it's better to be safe than sorry.
your brother...if they have been together for awhile before you got them they should get along fine...just don't try to introduce a new hamster to those two, that won't work out
Like they said, syrian- no, dwarf-yes. Syrians are the bigger kinds and dwarfs, are well, dwarfy.
I myself have NEVER had a problem caging hamsters together that grew up together. The syrians get along, until the female goes in to heat %26 she gets pissy %26 attacks him.
The teddy hamsters I have, [3 of them] I have in 2 seperate cages. My teacher bred a syrian to a teddy, %26 they had babies. There were 2 teddys in a cage while the one was pregnant so we took her out, %26 idk if they'll get along or not now.
But the mom hamster gets along perfectly with her baby boy [only 1 baby survived]
But they are territorial, I guess it depends on their personality. Leave them in a cage for awhile, %26 supervise :]
It depends on the breed and which sex you get. I bred and owned hamsters for seven years, (teddy bear hamsters) and the males are calmer and less territorial than the females. (Females don't like other hamsters unless they're in heat!) and I had several pairs of brothers that grew up together and got along fine. A good rule of thumb is to have more than one level in your cage so that if they get in a squabble or feel like being by themselves, they can get off by themself.
Syrians are solitary and need to be alone or they will fight to the death, dwarfs can live in pairs, when bought together.

No comments:

Post a Comment