Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hamsters or Gerbils?

My sister and I are thinking about getting a hamster or gerbil. Which one would you suggest? My family has had guinea pigs for my whole life, but we would like some other type of rodent also. There are a few things I would like to know first.
Which is more tame?
Are they cuddly?
Do they bite?
Are they both nocturnal?
Are you only able to have one?
Basically, I would like to know everything about gerbils and hamsters.
Please don't give me any extremely long, or critical (example: They have to have this, and they can't have that...) answers. Thank you!
Answers:
I have had both in my life time. Personally I am in love with my three Gerbils. My Hamster passed away a year ago. I don't plan to get another Hamster but, If anything happens to my Gerbils I'll definately get more.
Here are awnsers to your questions:
Which is more tame? Gerbils
Gebils:
Are they cuddly? Yes!
Do they bite? No. In my time of having them (4 years) not one ever bit me.
Are they nocturnal? No.
Are you only able to have one? No. The live in groups of 2 or more natrurally. You should probably get 2.
Hamsters:
Are they cuddly? Yes. To a certain point.
Do they bite? Yes. I was bit many times.
Are they nocturnal? Yes.
Are you only able to have one? Yes.
I hope that helps!!
Good luck!
Hamster!! They are bigger. But still tiny.
You should get an armadillo. They are very clean and don't take up much space ... just don't accidentally run over it as you are backing out of your drive way or it will look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/milkaway/50...
i havent owed a gerbil but i used to have a hamster. if u get it from the pet store and u want a female check her and all of the other hamsters in the cage to make sure there all females. our hamster was a 'male' but it had babies 2 weeks later. other than that she was realy sweet. good luck.
ps i think its good idea to have one hamster cuz we kept 3 of the babies but we also bought 3 seperate cages so they wouldnt mate or fight
I would suggest hamsters. I've had 3 so far and they are very tame, cuddly and they don't bite. The two kind of hamsters I would suggest are either Teddy Bear Hamster or Black Bear Hamster.
Good Luck!
Out of those two, I would choose a hamster. I've had about5 hamsters throughout my life and they make good pets.
Right now I have rats and mice. If you are open to any other rodents I would suggest to get two rats (they need a friend!). They are smart, clean, affectionate and friendly. They remind me of small dogs, lol. Some of my rats know their names and they are always waiting to come out and play! Once you have a rat you will want them as pets forever
Mice are a great smaller alternative as well! They are more active than hamsters and don't get grumpyand bite. They can also learn their names!
Good luck with your new pet!
hamsters are easier, you need just one, they are solitary animals, gerbils need a buddy. they are both nocturnal, I have 3 hamsters right now, all in separate cages of course, and they are cute and loving. they only bite the first few days if they are scared, or if they smell food on your hands, so wash hands before handling them. gerbils are very nervous and quick rodents, so if you are looking for a sweet pet get a hamster. a syrian, not a dwarf.
Hamsters are so cute and fun! I don't really like gerbils because they always bit me and it hurt! I have had Tons of hamsters and i never really had troubles with them biting they are just so sweet! I would do some research on both! And you can go to the petstore and ask to hold and pet both of them and see which one you like best!

No comments:

Post a Comment